Baltimore Law Firm Provides Strong Defense in EEOC Claims
Maryland EEOC Defense Lawyers Experienced in Representing Those Facing Discrimination Charges
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is tasked with enforcing laws related to the discrimination of employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, nation of origin, age, disability, and genetic information. When an EEOC charge is filed against a Maryland business or organization, competent legal representation is critical to mount a strong defense against the charges.
When a charge is filed with the EEOC, notice of the filing must be sent to the business or organization within 10 days. An EEOC investigator has the authority to evaluate all information submitted and make a recommendation regarding whether there is reasonable cause to believe that unlawful discrimination occurred. It is important to remember than an EEOC charge does not necessarily constitute a finding that an organization engaged in illegal discrimination.
Many EEOC charges result in voluntary mediation or a negotiated settlement, and at the beginning of the investigation, the EEOC will advise both the business and the charging party if the claim is eligible for mediation. In either case, an organization faced with an EEOC charge in Maryland should consider hiring a competent attorney to represent them in mediation, help negotiate a fair settlement, or build a strong defense against the charges filed.
Defending Against an EEOC Claim
If mediation or settlement is not a viable option, an experienced EEOC defense attorney can also offer the following assistance to help your organization present an aggressive defense:
- Provide a statement of position that will effectively tell your side of the story.
- Identify the most efficient way to gather relevant evidence.
- Help formulate your response to a Request for Information, which might include personnel policies, your personnel file, personnel files of other individuals, and other pertinent information.
- Conduct a thorough investigation of the allegations by reviewing documents, interviewing personnel, and completing any required follow-up.
- Assist you to work within the system to achieve the most favorable results possible through mediation, settlement, or litigation.
The EEOC defense process is often stressful and complicated. The attorneys at Collins Legal Group, LLC, are extremely familiar with the rules concerning the investigation, statements, collection of evidence, and the timelines that are involved in building a strong defense against a charge of discrimination. If you’re facing an EEOC charge in Maryland, it is important that you consult with a legal professional who has navigated this complex process before.